Wow, 2013! That was the last time I had an entry?! I'm sure seeing this makes you believe I had given up on custom designed life events stationery. Not true!
What actually happened is that we spent the end of 2013 and into 2014 planning out our own life event. My husband and I had twin boys in December! I'll be creating a post about their nursery and how I designed it and what inspired it. I also have a couple of other projects I've been working on that I can't wait to share. While I haven't been doing any original stationery design, I have been busy working on past favorites for new brides with a color change here and a font change there.
The twins definitely keep us busy and until they can take reliable naps, I don't think it's likely I'll be able to spent too much time on personal work, but client work is always a welcome sight!
In August, we'll finally be having their blessing celebration! We're having a non-denominational gathering of close friends and family to welcome the twins into our lives. They're already 7 months old and we wanted to make sure we had a celebration marking their arrival (albeit 4 months later than we would have liked). We picked a date and I had to make an invitation, quickly!
I fired up Photoshop and Illustrator, went to Creative Market (no time to create original elements, so this is the next best thing in a pinch) and got to designing.
I designed this in just a day and obviously there are things I would have liked to be different, but I'm pretty pleased with it in general.
Since I didn't have much time, I decided to make the boys the main focus (they should be anyway!). I decided a banner was in order and since I just needed to get this done, off to Creative Market where I got the Pretty Watercolor Ribbon Banners set by Holly McCaig Creative. Could I have designed my own banners? Of course, but in a pinch, there are a lot of very good designers who sell their work and it's great for personal projects like this.
I played around with various Instagram-style filters for Photoshop. I ended up combining a few plus I photo edited a little bit myself to come up with the final look. The element that I was able to get done quickly was the little birds. I quickly came up with a silhouette, I applied some ink brushes and played with opacity until I got the desired effect to kind of match the banner.
Like I said, I could have done a few things differently, but I'm really happy with how this came out given my active twinsies and lack of free time to work on personal projects. More to come soon!